What is a Learning Disability?
A learning disability is a neurological disorder. In simple terms, a learning disability results from a difference in the way a person's brain is "wired." Children with learning disabilities are as smart or smarter than their peers. But they may have difficulty reading, writing, spelling, reasoning, recalling and/or organizing information if left to figure things out by themselves or if taught in conventional ways.
A learning disability can't be cured or fixed; it is a lifelong issue. With the right support and intervention, however, children with learning disabilities can succeed in school and go on to successful, often distinguished careers later in life.
Parents can help children with learning disabilities achieve such success by encouraging their strengths, knowing their weaknesses, understanding the educational system, working with professionals and learning about strategies for dealing with specific difficulties.
Not all great minds think alike
Did you know that Albert Einstein couldn't read until he was nine? Walt Disney, General George Patton, and Vice President Nelson Rockefeller had trouble reading all their lives. Whoopi Goldberg and Charles Schwab and many others have learning disabilities which haven't affected their ultimate success.
Facts about learning disabilities
Fifteen percent of the U.S. population, or one in seven Americans, has some type of learning disability, according to the National Institutes of Health.
Difficulty with basic reading and language skills are the most common learning disabilities. As many as 80% of students with learning disabilities have reading problems.
Learning disabilities often run in families.
Learning disabilities should not be confused with other disabilities such as mental retardation, autism, deafness, blindness, and behavioral disorders. None of these conditions are learning disabilities. In addition, they should not be confused with lack of educational opportunities like frequent changes of schools or attendance problems. Also, children who are learning English do not necessarily have a learning disability.
3 comments:
This is a real disability Unfortunately both my mom and my daughter have a learning disability when it comes to spelling. They can see a word and know it isn't correct, but to have them spell it correct just doesn't connect. My daughter has come a long way after she recieved help in school, but now sometimes she gets in a hurry or frustrated and it gets worse. As for my mom, there was no help, this was not recognized in the earlier years. Mom has improved her skills tremdously as well. I am proud of them both for still trying to overcome this, but as long as we know what they mean when they type it is good enough for me. I love you Mom and Danielle. I wish the best and a better treatment in the future for anyone who has or knows someone that has this type or another type of disability. God Bless all who struggle with it.
well thank you mom. some people are just plain rude. but you know what i have delt with it all my life and it does not get me upset anymore. cause people just dont understand...... you have seen me go trough it and know how i have had a hard time. but it has made me better person. thank you for everything you have done i can never repay you for it. i love you.
Well as usual I had to stop crying before I could write this. I felt bad for Danielle when I read the comment in her blog because I have lived with this for many moons. But I will match my 4.0 grade adverage at Edison with anyone. I'm not stupid I just have a rough time spelling. Thank God for the dictionary and spell check. Danielle has a lot of talents that out way her one shortcoming. One of her many is the ability to feel compasion for others. She would not intentionally hurt anyones feelings. She has such a talent in Arts that I envey her. A very smart Dr. Harewood is the one who told me that it was a learning disability I had because she knew that I was smart. I have felt better agout my self since then, although I still feel ashamed at times that I can't spell very well. It has become a family joke and that makes it a little eaiser. I love you and what you have written here. I hope that it wakes up anyone who feels that they have a right to condem anyone for a short coming. I wish they had spell check on the blog. Or do they. Well that's another short coming I have. I'm computer illeterite. See that is spelled wrong but bet you know what it is. LOL Love and kisses to all my family and Thank you again. Love Mom
Post a Comment